Spring Sessions 2021 ONLINE, Lausanne
Due to Covid-19 situation, the Lausanne session is 100% online
Back to the basics
- What’s so special about startups?
- Roles and duties
- Company bodies (General Assembly, BOD, Auditors)
- Swiss legal framework
- Responsibilities of a BOD member
- Being a BOD member in a start-up
- Principles of good governance
- Best practices for startups
- Role of the BOD at key stages in the life of a startup (future rounds, merger, exit, key person resignation)
- Start-up environment
- Classical risks and pitfalls for BOD members in startup
- What questions to ask before joining a BOD?
- Improving relations between shareholders, BOD and management
- Building a successful BOD
- BOD remuneration, what model to apply in startups?
- BOD members liabilities
- Conflict of interests
Finance for BOD Members
- Understanding the Business Model
- How solid is it?
- What are the key success factors?
- Case studies of successful and failed business models in startups
- Financial checklist
- Key reminders
- How to monitor the finances of a startup ?
- Financial tools
- Case studies of startups financials in good and bad shape
- Overindebtedness (art. 725 CO)
- Duty of the BOD
- Risks for the BOD
- Case studies
- Role & Responsibilities of BOD members in financial management
- Relation with auditors
- Startup financing and BOD involvement
- Crisis Management in a startup
- What are the common causes of startup crises?
- How to identify the early signs of a crisis?
- Crisis response recommendations
- What actions to take as a BOD member?
- Communication in the crisis
- Groups role play
- Type of enforcement proceedings
- Role and responsibility of the BOD
- When to call the judge?
- What actions to take ?
- How to present the case to the judge ?
- BOD liability in a bankruptcy procedure
- Groups role play
BOD Members meet Startups
Real life exercise
- 4 startups, which have already incorporated, are invited to present to participants, acting as potential BOD members
- At the end of the presentation, each startup describes its ideal board (skills & personality)
- 4 groups are created among the participants with the closest match with each of the startup requirements
- Each group, with the support of a trainer, conducts its due diligence as future BOD member, interacting with the startup management team
- Each group gives the results of its due diligence to the startup with a list of recommendations
- Startups give their feedbacks to the due diligence team (how they feel about this experience, lessons learned, communication process, etc..)
March 2, 2021
Day 1 - March 2, 2021
Day 2 - March 9, 2021
Day 3 - March 16, 2021
Day 4 - March 23, 2021
Time and location
Training starts from: 14:00-18:00
Total fee for each participant is CHF 950.-
Admission is subjected to a selection process.
A special price applies to a limited number of new start-up founders.
Virginie has a strong background in energy, clean-tech, telecommunication and IT sectors. Often called in during transition periods, she helps companies in their fast growing and restructuring phases. She brings her hands-on expertise in C-level management, finance, marketing & communication, and international business development.
Fascinated by organizations in transition, she took part in two IPOs, led a full privatization process and restructured various SMEs as well as MNCs departments in multicultural environments. She is chairman of the board of a government-owned company and serves on the board of directors of several SMEs and start-up companies.
Brigitte Baumann is the Founder and ex-CEO of Go Beyond Early Stage Investing. In May 2015 EBAN (the European trade association for Business Angels and Seed Funds) named her European Investor of the Year. She is President Emeritus of EBAN and Chairs the Young Presidents Organization’s global Angel Investing group.
Brigitte has 20+ years experience in bringing new technologies to market in the US and Europe. She was the CEO and Director of iWORLD Group, a VC backed, global developer of mobile content. She was Senior Vice President and General Manager Internet at American Express (Amex) Corporate Services. Prior to that, Brigitte spent three years as President for US/Canada of Gemalto, a world leader in smart card technology. She also worked at McKinsey & Company as Senior Engagement Manager.
Brigitte has a B.Sc. in Chemical Engineering from Tufts University, Boston and an MBA in Finance from the Wharton School, Philadelphia.
Jean spent over 20 years in technology oriented companies. His domains of expertise range from international sales to management of large telecom projects. While an executive in large multinational companies, he experienced many of the domestic and international development stages of a corporation. Jean is also an entrepreneur and started several ventures which have been successfully sold. Jean is currently a partner and board member of several small and medium-sized companies and start-ups. He also works as a consultant, advising entrepreneurs and SMEs.
After training mainly in international commercial arbitration and litigation, Jacques Bonvin has specialized over the last twenty years, and is now active, in corporate law, international mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance, including private equity and venture capital, with a special emphasis in the technology sector. Jacques Bonvin regularly advises board of directors on corporate governance and strategic issues.
Jacques Bonvin's typical involvement includes preparing, structuring, negotiating and finalizing transactions both at the national and international level. He often acts as lead counsel in cross-border transactions.
Jacques Bonvin advises investment banks, venture capital firms and funds, corporate venture funds, incubators, academic institutions, listed and non-listed companies, as well as start-ups on corporate and shareholding structuring (including corporate governance issues) and on all types of transactions such as M&A, takeovers, LBOs, MBOs, restructurings, divestitures, spin-offs, as well as private equity and venture capital deals.